Thursday, July 22, 2010

Recipe Time: Cake... Just Cake...

There is an episode of Bewitched where Samantha, very pregnant with their second child (Adam), starts to get obsessed with food, and her magic suddenly starts to work on its own to make whatever food she craves suddenly appear. Then the Witch Doctor comes and puts a spell on her to stop it, but somehow reverses it so instead of the food coming to her, she goes to the food, making many awkward situations for her and her mortal husband.

I mention this because on particular line has been stuck with me lately... A comment her (mortal) doctor makes at one point: "I've never known an expectant mother who was so preoccupied with food!" 

This is how i have felt, especially the past few weeks. Perhaps it's because my kitchen is now clean daily, which means i have lots of space for cooking (and i've always loved cooking!). Perhaps it's because I have a blog now, and second only to my love of cooking is sharing my cooking. Perhaps it's simply because, well, I'M PREGNANT! Hahaha! But whatever the reason, i can't seem to stop thinking about food! Unlike Samantha, however, i don't have magical powers to bring whatever food i crave instantly to my hands (but how awesome would that be?!), so i have to cook the things i want.

Well, at the beginning of the week i got an intense craving for a cherry cake my mom used to make. I phoned her up, and after playing phone tag for a day or two, I finally got to talk to her, and got the recipe from her!

This cake is so quick and easy and amazingly delicious! I'm eating a piece as i type this, and it's awesome. Heehee!



My mom calls this a "Coffee Cake", M calls it "Pie Cake", and a friend of ours called it a "Shortcake", so that's why i don't really have a name for it. We'll go with "Coffee Cake" (even though we don't drink coffee!) since that was first.

Ingredients:
4 eggs
1 c. white sugar
1/2 c. vegetable oil
2 c. flour
1 tsp. Baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 can (540 mL) Pie filling (we use Cherry - we like it best!)
cinnamon and sugar

Beat eggs in medium bowl until yolks are well blended. Slowly add in sugar.
Add in oil and mix on medium speed until well blended. Add flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix well.
Spread half of mixture on bottom of 9x13 cake pan or casserole dish. Carefully spread pie filling evenly over bottom layer. Carefully spread remaining batter on top.
Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar and bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes (on my oven 40 minutes is about perfect).
Serve with wipped cream or ice cream.

And as a small piece of advice - when storing leftover cake, do NOT cover with plastic wrap! The cake will "sweat" and the sugar on top will make the cake REALLY sticky. Cover loosely with a lid, or a cloth, or something that will allow a little air in so that the top crust stays nice and crisp.


Oh, how i love it!! 
(And please forgive the dirty plate - i was getting second helpings for Josh and myself, and i had cleaned my own plate for a photo, but Josh's slice looked better than mine.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love to hear your thoughts, but please keep it kind and constructive. Thanks so much!