Wednesday, March 23, 2011

"Dragon" Party Craft: Wooden Spoon Dragons

I wanted to do a fun craft at the party, and it was pretty serendipitous that i stumbled upon this tutorial while browsing online. I thought it was so cute, and the kids would have a blast with them!

I changed it up a little to make one specific dragon. If you've seen "How to Train Your Dragon", you may recognize him:


The wooden spoon made the perfect shape for Toothless's head!

Want to make your own? Here's what you'll need:


- Wooden spoons (I found mine at the local Dollar store for $1 for three)
- Black and White paint (and a paintbrush or two)
- 1 sheet black craft foam, scrap of red craft foam (for tongue)
- Scissors
- Pen or pencil
- White Cardstock (for traceable pattern)
- Glue (I used a hot glue gun, because i'm too impatient to wait for regular glue to dry)

Step One:
Paint the spoon black and let dry.

Step Two:
While your spoon dries, draw your pattern peices onto your cardstock, or print and cut out this one I made:


I don't know how to make a PDF, so you'll have to put the picture into a word document and enlarge it to fit the borders of the page.

Step Three:
Trace the eyes onto the spoon and paint white (You can use googly eyes if  you want to make it easier, but I wanted a more Toothless-like shape to the eyes.



Toothless's eyes change shape in the movie from catlike slits (when he's angry or threatened) to rounded squares (when he's friendly or happy).



I didn't have a small paintbrush - i was using a toothpick, so the eye's aren't as smooth as i'd like, but you get the idea.

Step Four:
 While they eyes are drying, trace the wings, tail, ears, and mouth onto the black foam, and the tongue onto red foam and cut out the pieces.



In the movie, one of Toothless's middle ear/horns is shorter than the other, so i cut a little bit off the end of one.

Step Five:
Assemble. See photo above for a close-up of his head to see the placement of the ears.



Glue the tongue onto the mouth piece, then glue the mouth piece just at the back and slightly up the sides, leaving enough unglued for the mouth to open.


Step Six:
Give to your child, who will fly him around the house all afternoon. I will admit to flying him around a bit myself.


Since the party is for a bunch of younger kids, I have the spoons painted and the foam cut out, so all they have to do is glue them together. I'm also playing around with the idea of making little foam fish for the kids to "feed" to their Toothless.

It should be lots of fun. Can't wait!!

Linking up:

Chic on a Shoestring Decorating

Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. K this is awesome. They are going to have a great time at the party. Now Haylee wants to make a dragon because she is peeking over my shoulder right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMGosh, how cute is that? Thanks for linking up to Mad Skills Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And can I say that my husband...not my sons, my husband is in LOVE with that movie... Can anyone relate?

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahaha! in our house it's not my husband - it's me! I've always collected dragons, so this movie worked it's way into my favorites rather quickly! :) And thanks for the comment love, guys! it makes me feel warm and fuzzy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE this idea! We will be doing this for decorating our How To Train Your Dragon party at a Spa! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing! I am definitely going to try these for my son's party in September!

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear your thoughts, but please keep it kind and constructive. Thanks so much!