Sunday, March 13, 2011

Recipe Time: Pancakes

It was my assumption that every Suzy Homemaker had a recipe for pancakes from scratch, but if all my blog stalking has taught me anything, it's not to make assumptions. I have found myself more than once saying "wow!" over things that should have been completely obvious, and I know many others have had the same reaction.

We love pancakes in our house. We eat them a lot. For Valentines Day, my husband got me an electric griddle. I was so excited! He even let me have it a week early, with the proviso that I make him pancakes and bacon on February 14th.  It was used a couple of times before Valentines day, the first time being when a friend of mine came over for dinner and made us all pancakes. (Yes, we are the kind of people who eat pancakes for dinner). She made them from scratch, which i had never had before, and my goodness they were divine!!

Not long after, I made pancakes on the griddle using a boxed mix that i had on hand (I've always been way too lazy to bother learning how to make them from scratch), and i was shocked at how revolting they were! The griddle certainly cooks them differently than a frying pan. They practically disintegrated the instant i put the syrup on! They were grainy and crumbly and just ... blech!

So, for Valentines Day, i got my friend's recipe, and I've been using it ever since.



This is what i did for my husband for V-Day. Not the greatest, but decent for a first attempt at making pancakes in shapes other than circles! I added a little red food coloring for fun.

Today, thinking again about pancakes, I figured i could cut down prep time and extra dishes by making my own mix! So I got out some medium sized freezer bags (i like the durability, and the double zipper) and made some mixes. I had seen this done elsewhere in blogland a long time ago - throw all your dry ingredients in a bag, label it and list the wet ingredients to add - just like a mix from the store!


And the bonus? Much cheaper! If you do not currently have a pancakes recipe, feel free to use this one!

In the bags i have:

2 cups flour (i use white all-purpose, but I'm sure any kind would work)
2 rounded tablespoons white sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt

Wet ingredients, listed on the bag, are:

2 eggs
1/4 cup oil
1 3/4 cup water (keep a little extra on hand in case you'd like the batter thinner)

Stir dry ingredients together in a bowl. Add wet ingredients and mix with electric mixer on medium speed for about 2 minutes, scraping the sides and bottom as you go. Pour or spoon onto your griddle and you're ready to go! The pancakes i make are small-ish, about 8 at a time on the griddle, and i get 24 out of this batch. Enough for me, my hubby, two pre-schoolers, and leftovers for the next day (pancakes freeze awesome, by the way)!

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love to hear your thoughts, but please keep it kind and constructive. Thanks so much!