Monday, July 11, 2011

Mr. Potato Truck

Things have been crazy busy and chaotic around here, but i had to stop in quick and show you this gift i made for a little boy's birthday. My boys were invited to the party, and i wracked my brain trying to think of a gift. We are pinching pennies around here, so it had to be homemade (i like homemade better anyway), and it had to be made from things i already had on hand.

This boy loves cars, trucks, trains, etc. He's very much like R. So, i meshed together something fun, drawing inspiration from this tutorial on Make it and Love it, Disney/Pixar's Cars, and Mr. Potato Head.

I am very aware of the flaws - it's a first draft, done without a pattern, and i was in a hurry. Despite that, i think it turned out pretty cute!

there's velcro on the sides, top, windshield and front bumper so the pieces can be changed up. I only had time for three different costumes:

The Rock Star

The Major Leaguer

The Cowboy
The pieces
The license plate - i'm no great shakes at embroidery - this is the first time i've done words, and had to free hand it. I ran out of room for the 's'...
I think i might just do this again - only better next time! I had grand intentions to make a carrying case in the shape of a garage (with "Garage" written on the side). I had some brick print fabric, and even drew up a sketch, but i had no time.

Also, too late, i thought it would be a laugh (and a nod to one object of inspiration) to make a tiny burlap sack labeled "Potatoes" to put in the truck bed. Next time!

Linking Up at these fabulous linky parties:








Photobucket


4 comments:

  1. I LOVE it! You did an awesome job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very cute what a great job sure to please any little one

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a great job! This is an awesome idea, and you are right homemade is better! I am so glad I found you. We host a link up party every Tuesday and Sunday, would love for you to link this up with us! Hope to see you there :)
    Britney
    www.jandmseyecandy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear your thoughts, but please keep it kind and constructive. Thanks so much!