Thursday, January 24, 2013

Plush Toothless - Free Pattern!

I don't like to post things that don't turn out perfectly.

I do anyway, but i don't like it.

I was so excited when I came across Katy A.'s  pattern for a Plush Toothless (from How To Train Your Dragon) that I put aside my other projects and started on it the same day. Mine didn't turn out NEARLY as cute as hers, but I've never made such a complicated plush before, so i count it a win anyway.


The instructions are brief, and at times a little unclear, but if you are an intermediate/advanced sewer you probably can figure it out with the help of the images.

Here are a few of my tips:


The fleece i used stretched a bit while i was sewing, so his back and tail are a bit crooked. This happened because i sewed down one side, around the tail, then back up the other side. If i had to do it over, i would have started at the top (the neck) and sewed down to the tail on both sides so the stretch was going the same direction.

I'll say right now, the legs were a pain. My advice is to put them on a bit sooner than the instructions say to to avoid having to work around the big lump of body, wings, and fins. Even so, you may find it easier to hand sew them.

Lastly, USE THIS LINK! It's a visual aid to putting the head together, which is probably the most complicated part of the dragon.



So he's not perfect. So he looks like he desperately needs to go on a diet. That's okay with me, because i still think he's cute, and my kids adore him. Really, that's all that matters. :)

Want to make your own? (or at least see what it can look like when done correctly?)

You'll have to zoom in. The links to the free printable pattern pieces are below.

Have fun!

1 comment:

  1. He's perfect! My daughter would love this as is one of her fave films.

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear your thoughts, but please keep it kind and constructive. Thanks so much!